Advantages of Wooden Deck
- Natural look
- Cooler in the heat
- Less expensive material
Disadvantages of Wooden Deck
- Expensive Maintenance
Advantages of Composite Deck
- More durable
- Easier maintenance
- More sustainable
- Lasts longer than wood
Disadvantages of Composite Deck
- Greater initial cost
- Higher heat retention
Building a deck is one of the top 5 remodeling projects for 2022, as per a study conducted by Zillow and Realm. Decks provide an extension of your living spaces to the outdoors, a great spot for soaking up the sun during sunny months, sipping hot coffee in the cooler months, and overall a great place for entertaining!
- Natural Look
- Naturally appealing, the look of wood provides a cozy ambiance, unlike composite decking which might still look and feel synthetic despite its finish to look like wood.
- Cooler in the Heat
- Traditional wood is cooler to the touch than that of composite decking 
- If wood is your preferred decking material, choose “naturally durable hardwood” since it provides “less concerns about things like decay, rotting, termites, and other bugs”  and can last for more than 40 years, however, cheaper wood only lasts 10-15 years .
- Compared to composite decking, this option is less expensive. Labor is cheaper and more affordable as well [1&4]
- Maintenance for wooden decking can be expensive. The application of oil-based deck stain or paint is necessary every year for it to not acquire a weathered look. Cleaning it is required twice a year while resealing is needed annually or every 2 to 5 years [1, 2, 4].
- Composite decking is more moisture, fade, weather, warp, bow, and splintering resistant compared to wood [3&4] and does not need any treatment, staining, or painting, unlike wood .
- Easy and cheaper maintenance compared to wooden decking, there’s little to no need for re-staining, re-painting, or re-sealing of composite decking. It just needs to be cleaned with soap and water twice a year [3&4].
- This decking option is made from recycled plastic and wood scraps [3&5].
- Composite decking can last for 50 years 
- Greater initial cost than wood, with $30-60 per square foot .
- Heat retention
- Heat retention is one of the primary disadvantages of composite decking, but manufacturers have developed technologies that makes it cooler to the touch 
- Darker colored composite decking may fade and since the color of the decking is permanent, if any fading happens to one of the boards and needs to be replaced, it’ll be noticeable due to the fading of surrounding boards. [7 & 8]
Will you choose wood or composite decking?
As a homeowner, will you also do a remodeling project for your backyard? With the advantages and disadvantages of both wood and composite decking laid out, which would you choose if you’re thinking of doing a remodel? Let us know!
If you want to know the opinions of our real estate specialists on which material is better in the current Tri-Cities market, don’t hesitate to connect with us! You can also browse through our Ultimate Real Estate Guide which is composed of Home Buyer and Seller Tips and blogs on Home Features!
Recinos, E. (January 3, 2022). The 2022 Remodeling Project at the Top of Many Homeowners’ Lists. Hunker. Retrieved from https://www.hunker.com/13770133/new-years-resolutions-remodeling-projects
 Smith, K. (July 2, 2019). Hardwood vs Composite Decking: 5 Reasons to choose wood. Nova USA Wood. Retrieved from https://www.novausawood.com/5_reasons_hardwood_better_than_composite
 SG Wood Flooring. (2021). What Are The Pros And Cons Of Timber Decking. SG Wood Flooring. Retrieved from https://www.sgwoodflooring.com/articles/what-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-timber-decking.html
 Gadi, B. (February 5, 2022). Advantages of Composite Decking. Sherwood Lumber. Retrieved from https://sherwoodlumber.com/advantages-of-composite-decking/
 Decks.com. (2021). Comparing Composite vs Wood Decking. Retrieved from https://www.decks.com/how-to/articles/comparing-composite-vs-wood-decking
 Fiberon Decking. (2019) Fiberon Product Guide. Retrieved from https://assets.fiberondecking.com/downloadable-resources/fiberon-product-guide-mkt-lit-fib-guide.pdf?mtime=20190118125115
 Azek Building Products. (2020). TimberTech Advantage Guide. Retrieved from https://www.timbertech.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/TimberTech-Advantage-Guide-2021.pdf
 Trusted Pros. (2014). Pros and Cons of Composite Decking. Retrieved from https://trustedpros.ca/articles/decks/pros-and-cons-of-composite-decking
 CladCo Decking. (2022). 10 Composite Decking Pros and Cons – Expert Guide. Retrieved from https://www.cladcodecking.co.uk/blog/post/composite-decking-pros-and-cons